Friday, March 21, 2008

Mind Gymnastics


You will notice that a lot of writers, read a lot of books.  Why?  Because reading is good for you.  It gives your brain word nutrients, oxygen, and exercise.  Going to a library is like going to an imagination gym.  

I try to read a little bit everyday.  Sometimes, I am just too wiped out - but I do make a bit of an effort.  I have a plan to read 100 books this year.  So far I am falling way behind schedule.  I think I have finished 10 or 11, so far.

I once heard the novelist, Yann Martel say, "that for every book a person reads, a life is added to his own".  I have not remembered that quote accurately, but I think I got the gist of it.  Reading a book and sharing someone's imagination is a gift.  It enriches our lives.  It gives us moments of stillness.  Something we all need.  Our hands do not need to be busy all of the time.  We should quiet our bodies, and awaken our minds.  It's good for us.

I will update this blog, on what I am reading - and what I think of the book.  This week's selection is Girl With A Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevalier.  I just started this book the other night, when I was sitting in a noisy sushi bar - so I have not gotten far, but it is keeping my interest.  At this stage, that is all I can ask.

What are you reading?  Let me guess.  Since there is only 2 people who know about this blog.  I am thinking one of them is reading something by John Irving - by the way Rex, he is back on the shelf - again- his books are too disturbing for me.  And I think the other one is reading Robertson Davies - hopefully its come down off the bookshelf now.

Am I right???



3 comments:

Tony said...

books sckmooks.

more like ADD-Nation here...

t

z-nation said...

Tony,

Oh you will be a reader (again). There is not one doubt in my mind.

If only for the escape. If you let it, it could bring great joy. It does that for me.

z-nation said...

I finished the book. It wasn't too bad. Pretty easy to read. About a maid working for an artist. Bet the movie with Colin Firth is better.